Search This Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

~Blind-typing, Skydrive and Moyea~

Today in class, our lecturer, Pn. Foziah, stressed on the importance of touch typing. This means to type without looking at the keyboard.


I have no problem doing this since I trained myself to “blind-type” four years ago. At that time, I had the long SPM break so one of the things-to-do that I listed was this – to be able to type only by looking at the screen. Truthfully, it was hard to do this at first because I didn’t know where to place all my fingers. Through sheer determination and lots of practice on my part, right now I don't have that problem. In fact, I feel thankful because now I can literally "think on my feet" and type at the same time. That is why at times I prefer typing to writing because my typing skills is so much faster!

After that, we were asked to answer a questionnaire, mainly about our competency in using the applications and softwares in a computer aside from the usual personal details. After completing the questionnaire, I then realised that there are still so many things I have yet to learn! I don't even know the first thing about editing a photo properly (unless changing the colour shade is a skill, otherwise I'm totally a noob!) Also, I don't know how to edit videos and audio files. I'm not even sure how to download them properly without having any errors! For me, the questionnaire was good because it alerted me to other softwares available which I lack skills in. Frankly, I feel quite excited to learn how to use these softwares, create my own materials and try it out on the younger ones.

Once we have completed the questionnaire, we were introduced to a few applications:
1. Sky-drive


2. Moyea


All these are new applications to me and I'm really curious about it. All I know is sky drive is where we can store additional documents or "artifacts". Moyea... I really have no clue, but I'd like to learn more about it soon! Hopefully when it comes to learning how to use the applications, it won't be too complicated for me to understand and fully utilise it for future use. This is because I realised that when I learn something new, I know I will be fine as long as there is a guide to teach me the basics. Most of the time when I am left alone to explore something new, I get drowned and that first impression already makes me feel "hostile" towards the application.

Lastly, we were given the opportunity to see one of our senior's portfolio. It's SERIOUSLY thick!! To think that I'll be producing one of those by the end of 14 weeks is by itself mind-blowing! Everything in there is full of pictures, CDs and coloured papers. Wow! That's a lot of effort (plus time and sweat and blood maybe?) put in there. I hope that I will be able to produce one as good as it by the end of the semester (or even better!)

I think that sums up today's class. See ya in the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment